Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Where The Sidewalk (Never Ever) Ends

A few years ago, the City of Santa Monica replaced some of the sidewalk in front of our house. Michael couldn't resist the urge to find a stick and write, "R + M 08" in the wet cement, forever solidifying (both figuratively and literally) our relationship with each other and with the street surface of the Ocean Park area of Santa Monica.

Since then, I have noticed other scribbles in the sidewalk of our neighborhood. The older the etchings are, the more I appreciate them. I like to think that these markings are like time-traveling messages in a bottle. Whatever happened to the people who felt compelled to leave their initials or names in the wet cement of Santa Monica? Are they still together? Are they still nearby? Are they still alive? Yesterday, I found a great one, just off of Main Street. This one is on the corner of Ashland and 2nd Street:



Since I have a mild obsession for these sidewalk markings, I intend to share more in the near future. In the meantime, hope the last 42 years have treated you well, H.A. Roches!

No comments:

Post a Comment